Monday 11 October 2010

Making the model 2

Making the Model 2
I then tried to make the head hollow so that it would become lighter. But when the same thing happened again, I realized that it was because of the hair that the head was so heavy. I then Googled how to make a plasticine model and it came up with:
“Make the head, body, arms, legs / wings separately - then join them together using short pieces of pipe cleaner (to make it easier to move bits)” (http://www.bedfordcreativearts.org.uk/moreinfo/HandyHints-models.pdf )
However I didn’t have any pipe cleaner so I thought wire would work just as well. I then found on the same website that I could make my model blink which I thought would make the character seem more realistic it said:
“Eyes wide open: Roll two pieces of white plasticine into balls and drop them into the eye sockets. Poke these with modelling tool / pencil and drop two smaller balls of coloured plasticine into the holes for irises. For pupils, you can make two holes in irises (the shadow makes it look darker) or drop two even smaller balls of black plasticine into the holes. Eyes half open: make one extra eye as above and one same sized ball of eyelid colour… cut them in half and join each skin half to eye half. Eyes shut: easy… just make two balls of skin colour!”
I did this and then found that if I then put two bits of wire into the eye sockets first, I could remove the eyes easier so I can make her blink easier. I also then thought if I coated the eyes with clear nail varnish, I would be able to remove them even easier because they wouldn’t stick to the sockets.
Making the hands was the hardest part as they all looked like mittens or looked huge for the body. My teacher then showed me a past film that someone made (but they did a music video) and said that if I messaged her through YouTube I would probably get an answer. So I messaged her asking how she made the hands on her video and she replied:
“start by making the palm the size you want (so u don’t go too big!), roll out the fingers to the size you want (like little sausages) and blend each finger onto the palm one at a time, preferably using a flat, smooth and fine edged tool (palette knife, flat head screwdriver etc), as your own fingers can end up accidentally sticking the fingers to each other! It’s tricky, and the fingers will stick to each other a lot, or fall off if not attached well, so be prepared to give them a lot of tlc during filming!
don’t know what your models hands are going to be doing, but if its lifting or carrying something in its hands, you should definitely attach wire through the arms into the palm (making a teardrop shape at end of wire for the palm)”

I then did this and it worked perfectly. I then thought of making a wire frame for the whole body, this was difficult to do, I first tried to put it all together in one but then I decided that putting the wiring together piece by piece would be better for movement, i did this by using the same technique as listed above (making a teardrop shape at the end of the wire) but then linking them together for things such as elbows.
I then put the plasticine around the wiring and stuck the head on top. [Picture of finished model to follow]

No comments:

Post a Comment