Wednesday 16 February 2011

Evaluation - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

- I think that my media product was similar to real media products in the way that the main features of real life animation films are that there is intertextuality, realistic settings made surreal, music to back up what is happening in the film, human characters and animal characters.
In almost every animation film that has been produced within the last decade has had all of these factors, this is true in cases such as Chicken Run where it had intertextuality where it was constantly related to The Great Escape where Ginger would chuck a ball against a wall and also the music that went with the whole film was similar to that of The Great Escape. Chicken Run also had realistic settings through the chickens living in a chicken run that looks similar to a concentration camp but then making it more child friendly by making everything look like it is where chickens are meant to be but with humanistic things attatched to it. For example the characters having blankets over them when they sleep, that they have posters up and teapot's and other things of that nature. Chicken run also has both human and animal characters, the human characters fit into a typical type that animation characters usually have, for example they have big features such as a big nose or eyes and the animal characters have similar features to the humans in that they have overexaggerated features and are humanised by making them have human expressions and making them wear human clothes etc.
My film was similar in this way as to that my characters had abnormally round eyes and simplistic clothes and features, however since I only had one animal character (the frog) and my film didn't include talking, I couldn't really have the frog look more like a human. However the frog did have human expressions when it looked shocked and started to cry. I didn't have intertextuality in my film that I could use it because I think that it would have looked odd if I put it in there and it would look out of context. I think that my film stuck to the convention of the music because I used instrumental music that fit really well into my film and emphasised what happened in the action of my film. Since I don't write music however I couldnt have a score that was specifically written for my film. I think however that I did have a recogniseable theme tune but for a reason that isn't to do with my film, that it was from another well known film "phantom of the opera".
However in some ways my film is completely different and if I had more time I would probably change. For one I would change the way my characters were made, I would put a bit more detail on their clothing rather than just block colours and I would emphasise their features more. If I had a lot more time I would make my characters talk to make them seem more like the real films that are out in the world today. To do this I would make them just talk using the shapes that we use when we use the vowels "A,E,I,O and U" this is becuase it provides a wide range and it would be easier to do rather than mimicking the way that the voice overs talk.
I would then make their tongue stick out every few times that they talk as this looks lie the way that they do talk. As in Walace and Gromit.
I wanted to have Aardman as one of my producers to make my film seem more "in with" the codes and conventions of clay animation films because almost all of them are made by them, but I wanted to make it seem more individual and then I could also make my characters their own and not have to make them look like the Aardman characters because they all have similar features (this is so that everyone will associate the characters with the people who made them) and I didn't want to make my characters look too much like a "typical" character. This is also because in clay animation the animators have to make each character look individual, this made it easier for me to make my characters look different to Aardman Characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment