Wednesday 16 February 2011

Evaluation - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary tasks?

Both of my ancillary tasks (my review and my film poster) have a strong correspondence with my short film. This is important for films to be successful because the film review has to show insight into the film and also it has to predict what families will want to see from that film and also if it is any good or not. Film reviews are also important because they help the film get noticed, especially by people who regularly read film reviews. This is because they create a form of advertising and since my film review is 'singing the films praises' it would create a positive advertising campaign and get more viewers. Film posters are also important as these are one of the main ways in which films get advertised (the other being TV adverts and radio). It is important that the poster is eye catching and lets the viewer know roughly what the film will be about, I think that my poster is very eye catching because it has contrasting colours (green and purple) and also it tells people a little bit about the film but also doesn't give too much away.

I think that my poster is good because it looks very clearly like a film poster for a children's/family film. I think this because it has very bright colours which would attract a
child's eye and also looks wholesome so that parents wouldn't mind seeing it. The font was decided by some people that I asked in my class by asking them which font looked best on the actual poster. I chose a dainty font that was called "Holiday Home" (shown on the right) which the rest of the class really liked but it didn't show up very well on the actual poster so they chose a 'plainer' font that is shown on my actual poster (below). A poster needs to show a basic image to catch the viewers attention and the text on the poster has to be short and interesting so people wont get bored standing there reading it. My poster did this because it had a simple image of a person looking through some leaves and then the title and also a caption saying "what's in your garden?" this makes the viewer wonder what will happen in the film.
On the other hand, I also think that if I had the chance and the resources I would improve my film poster by making the lines on the plasticine on the poster smoother and less visible making it therefore more professional. I would also have liked to experimented more with the colours and also different ways of making my film poster.

I think that my film review is also very good because it was kept in the same essence of a real film review that was found on the website listed below. I think that the film review was good because not only did it have good descriptive words that parents would appreciate but it also appealed to the children because it had a clear 'star' system so that it was easily rated and that children could understand it. I think that my film review was also in keeping with my film because it was colourful and also made it seem family friendly. However, if I could change my film review I would probably make it a little bit longer and have more to say in it. I would also probably make it seem a little more professional with better wording.

No comments:

Post a Comment